Kill la Kill (キルラキル Kiru Ra Kiru ) is an anime television series that premiered in Japan between October 3, 2013 to March 27, 2014 and ran for 24 episodes, with a 25th OVA episode to be released in September 3, 2014. The series is Studio Trigger's first original television anime project, directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi and written by Kazuki Nakashima, both of whom had previously worked together on Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and with character designs by Sushio. A manga adaptation by Ryō Akizuki began serialization in Kadokawa Shoten's Young Ace magazine from October 4, 2013.
Kill la Kill is set at Honnōji Academy (本能字学園 Honnōji Gakuen ), a fictional high school in Tokyo Bay that is dominated by its fearsome student council, led by Satsuki Kiryūin. The council members wear special uniforms called Goku Uniforms (極制服 gokuseifuku , lit. high quality uniform, from gokusei + seifuku) that grant them superhuman abilities, which they use to oppress the rest of the school's students and staff. Ryūko Matoi, a student wielding half a scissor-shaped longsword, transfers to Honnōji Academy in search of the owner of the other half of the scissor blade, the person who killed her father. Defeated by the council after interrogating Satsuki over the killer's identity and whereabouts, Ryūko comes across a sentient sailor uniform she names Senketsu, who puts himself on Ryūko. Using Senketsu's special abilities, Ryūko stands up against Satsuki and her henchmen, the Elite Four (四天王 shitennō ), to liberate Honnōji Academy from their iron grip and find out the truth behind her father's murder.
- Ryūko Matoi - Voiced by: Ami Koshimizu
- Senketsu - Voiced by: Seki Toshihiko
- Mako Mankanshoku - Voiced by: Aya Suzaki
- Satsuki Kiryūin - Voiced by: Ryōka Yuzuki
- Nonon Jakuzure - Voiced by: Mayumi Shintani
- Hōka Inumuta - Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino
- Ira Gamagōri - Voiced by: Tetsu Inada
- Uzu Sanageyama - Voiced by: Nobuyuki Hiyama
- Aikurō Mikisugi - Voiced by: Shinichiro Miki
- Tsumugu Kinagase - Voiced by: Konishi Katsuyuki
- Ragyō Kiryūin - Voiced by: Romi Park
- Nui Harime - Voiced by: Yukari Tamura
- Isshin Matoi - Voiced by: Kinryū Arimoto
The first soundtrack album was published on December 25, 2013. Aniplex USA also released the CD on January 17, 2014. It features 18 tracks, including six vocal songs performed in English and German. The background music tracks feature titles that are typographical variants of "Kill la Kill".
The second soundtrack album has been released in Japan as part of the fifth DVD/Blu-ray disc set on 7 May 2014. It will also have 18 tracks, including a karaoke variants of the original vocal songs.
- During the very early stages of development, the series was going to be called, Crimson Garment before settling on the shows working title.
- The show was originally going to have an art style similar to the anime, Panty & Stocking.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Crunchyroll.com - "Kill La Kill" Blu-rays to Feature Soundtrack and OVA
- ↑ Kill la Kill.jp - 「キルラキル」オリジナルサウンドトラック ("Kirurakiru" Original Soundtrack)
- ↑ Anime News Network.com - Aniplex USA to Release Kill la Kill Original Soundtrack CD
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Reaper Media - AnimeNEXT 2014 Part 2: Kill La Kill with Trigger Studio